Friday, October 10, 2014

# Friday Favorites

Friday Favorite

This Friday favorite is dedicated to the cold-weather-cuddle-up-next-to-the-fire-with-a-hot-chocolate-in-hand-and-a-book-in-your-lap kinda day which is perfect for October! Now, my entire life I have been a reader, it was always something I loved to do in my spare time. Rather than turn on the tv to watch some trash reality show (trust me, I'm definitely guilty of that too) or go shopping at the mall, I would curl up with a book. And I've read a lot of books in my lifetime, many of which I have really enjoyed, but no book has touched me quite like this one. If you haven't read The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, go out and buy it, stat. Heck, I'll even loan you my copy! Just read it. It will touch you in more ways than one. 

Quick synopsis: The story is about ansixteen year old cancer patient name Hazel who is forced by her parents to join a cancer support group where she meets an-in remission support groupie named *sigh* Augustus Waters. The two form an unbreakbable bond that will teach them both more about life and love than most people learn in a lifetime.gotchs interested yet?!

I picked up this book when I was going through s pretty rough transition, but this book totally put things into perspective for me and really opened up my eyes to look at one in a new way. Now, not only could I not put this book down, but I had an emotional reaction to it that I've never had. At the time when I was reading it, I was still working in San Francisco so I was commuting on Bart everyday. So naturally, I took the book with me to read instead of people watching all the crazies (although that can be fun too). But this book touched me in such a way, I felt too emotionally connected to it to read in public. I was so invested, I felt that all the Bart passengers that surrounded me were encoraching on my private journey with this book and it was something I didn't want to share with anyone (not to mention I was a crying mess in the middle of the Bart train...but I won't mention that). 

And believe it or not, it's not the 'cancer part' that got me so emotional, it was everything else that this book was made of; Hazel's relationship with Gus, her relationship with her parents (more specifically her mother) and how she didn't want to be the one to cause them pain once her battle is up, and the journey Hazel takes with herself is one that inspired me to really look at who I am as a person. 

So yes, I could go on and on about this wonderful book, and I highly suggest you take the time to read it, I'm sure it will touch you in one way or another. Think of your quiet time as a gift to yourself, trust me, you won't regret it! 

PS It's also an amazing movie-check that out too!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us @soratemplates